2.01.2010

I heart cooking!

In the last few years I have really started to enjoy cooking. I've had my fair share of disasters in the past, one includes Ryan not being able to eat grilled cheese sandwiches anymore, and the most recent was homemade chicken noodle soup, which was about perfect until I added the noodles WAY too soon and ended up with ruined mush. It was salvageable and Ryan's sister Ashley and her husband David choked it down for me...I still want a do-over!
Aside from my mishaps, I do manage to have success in the culinary world. My latest discovery is a roo. Yeah, I didn't know what it was either, but prepared the way Market Street does it, it transforms your cream soups like chowders into a restaurant masterpiece! I recently made my Mom's corn chowder recipe using this delicious technique and I was amazed something this good came from my two hands! This last weekend I made broccoli cheddar soup with the same roo and it was just as delectable!
Here's the secret, heat your oven to 325 degrees, take one cup flour and 3/4 cup melted butter. Mix them together and you'll get a cookie dough like mixture. Place it in the oven for 30 minutes, don't worry it will not scorch or burn. Mix all your ingredients for your soup like normal, however if it calls for more flour or cornstarch, nix that...it will be way to thick. Once all your ingredients are together and the roo has finished baking, add it to your soup straight from the oven. It will be thick so add milk or half and half until it's to your liking.
I made homemade rolls with the corn chowder, it was the first time I had rolls come out light and fluffy! I think I am going to try clam chowder next... I would love to hear what you think and what soup you made with it!
Happy Cooking!

4 comments:

  1. Mmmm, I love making soup! I'll have to try this!

    Oh, and what we do with chicken noodle soup is we make a bunch, but we always cook the noodles seperately. Then when we're reheating leftovers, the noodles have been stored seperately and don't get all mushy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, we could totally have our own cooking show. ha ha ha ... maybe one day right ;) Hey I want your broccoli/cheese recipe, may I?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are crazy the chicken noodle soup was good and we did not have to choke it down lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of this one. I'm going to have to try it next time I do corn chowder.

    ReplyDelete