As a young girl she was always my favorite. I would spend a week with her here at there at her Three Fountains condo. I loved my week with her, she was all mine. I would have breakfast with her (I still eat bran cereal thanks to her)I would go shopping with her at Kings and Shopko. She had many friends and they would take me mall walking with them at New Gate Mall. At the time I thought it was strange for older people to go to the mall before it opened, but I figured they didn't want to deal with all the trouble makers, now I realize it was a great chance for them to get out and mingle and also exercise.
At night when it was warmer outside she would open her sliding door in the front room to let the cooler air in. We would sit on her flowered couch and watch TV, I remember Golden Girls. Again I still watch it to this day.
I have so many memories I could go on and on. Her house on 9th east, the dresses she made me, her talking car, her swimming pool, the trip to Connecticut she took myself and my cousins on, family parties, Mother's Day at Aunt Cathy's, and her saying "Hi Honey" everytime I saw her.
I am thankful for all the memories that I was able to have because of her.
My brother Brad, Ryan and I were fortunate enough to see her one last time before she passed. She had stopped eating and was down under 90lbs. My Aunt Cathy went with us and we just sat with her. I talked to her and thanked for being the best grandma and tried so hard not cry, but I couldn't help it. At one point she was able to keep her head up just enough that I could make eye contact with her, I will never forget it and I was able to feel her love for me.
Saturday March 6th was her service. She was able to bring all of my family together and that had not happened easily in over 10 years. We all were mourning but grateful for the opportunity to see each other again.
Grandma looked at peace and it was comforting to see her that way. My Aunt Cathy organized a very beautiful service that included her life story read by my Mom, Cathy gave a nice talk, my cousin LeeAnn read all of the grandchildren's favorite memories, the greatgrandchildren sang "I Am A Child of God" it was sweet as she taught me this song when I was little.
My Aunt also asked if I would put together a slide show in her memory. I was able to collect a lot of photographs and it was comforting to see the life she lived. She really was able to travel and every photo showed love and happiness.
After the service we drove to Lewiston, Utah for her burial. At the cemetery each of her kids and grandchildren placed a white carnation on her casket, it was a nice tribute that started with my Mom's dad when he passed away.
After the burial we all gathered at a local church house for food. It was just like old times with all the little kids running around and the adults catching up with one another. This time though I wasn't the little girl running around and spinning in chairs. It's amazing how fast time goes by...
Thank you for the memories Grandma, I love you and I cannot wait to see you again.
Grandma Beth, me with curls and my cousin Cary

Visiting Grandma on her birthday Sept. 11 2009
The Greatgrandkids singing at her service
Talking before heading to Lewiston
Pallbearers placing her casket at her grave
Placing my carnation
My Family
Ryan was thoughtful enough to get this picture

I am so sorry. It is so hard to lose a grandparent whom you love and adore so much. And it sounds like you really did! She sounds amazing! It is a comfort to know that she is in a place now where her body and mind are whole! Let me know if you need anything. Love ya lots!!!
ReplyDeleteBeautifully written Amanda. I'm so sorry that her loss has been so hard on you. It's clear that you were extra close with Grandma. It was good to see you and the rest of your family. Hopefully it doesn't take us 10 more years to all get together again.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful tribute to our Grandmother, Amanda. She loved us very much didn't she? You did such a wonderful job highlighting her life and our family with your slideshow, thank you for doing that, we'll all be able to look back and remember how fortunate we were to have her in our lives. Like Ashley mentioned, I hope our families can all come together again, perhaps under happier circumstances, in the near future. If Grandma taught us anything, it's that family should be a priority in life, right? I hope we can all follow her example. Love you. Keep your chin up!
ReplyDelete